Re: [Octal-dev] literate programming / patterns.... let's document our w

From: Steve Mosher
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] literate programming / patterns.... let's document our work
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 14:35:47 -0300

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Dave O'Toole wrote:
> This sounds great!

        Okay, I'll dig it up. Some of this stuff is done the /wrong/ way
though, I'll warn you (if you ever see it before I redo it the /right/
way).

> One algorithm I'm working on right now is the mixing algorithm that gets
> applied when you pump two (or more) machines' output to another
> machine's input. It's dynamic, and adjusts the volume so that things
> don't clip (but doesn't just divide the mixed version by "n" where n is
> the number of signals being mixed. This does work but isn't very good.)
> I'm trying to mimic the behavior of Buzz's mixing algorithm as closely
> as I can, because it sounds good :-) .

        How do you preserve consistancy when your data is streaming in?
You can't exactly wait until all the data is finished to find the optimal
levels... you could do it by block, but won't that upset one streams
amplitude if the other quiets out? I personally wouldn't mind having to
manipulate the mixer manually, explicitly setting all of the mixing levels
of the ingoing samples. This interests me a lot. I'd really like to know
how this is supposed to work...

> Oh, how is this relevant? One thing I was suggesting is that we document
> important DSP and other algorithms (for instance, the topological sort
> used for ordering unit-generator execution) with literate programming
> tools or some other technique, so that this project can eventually
> become a sort of free-software catalog of DSP and audio stuff--and
> spread the word about high-level unit generator systems. Using TeX for
> this also opens the possibility of making both online HTML and published
> books (cf. print publication of HOTWO's etc.)

        This blows my mind. I think it's a good idea. A very good idea.
I'm wishing someone had done it before with DSP =).

--
"declare yourself to not be a terrorist, and follow the instructions for
upgrade."