[Octal-dev] stereo machines : design question.

From: Vivien Guillet
Subject: [Octal-dev] stereo machines : design question.
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:57:53 +0200

What is the reason for choosing stereo input/output for machines ? I think I can lead to serious limitations. 1. "common" machines. Yes, there is always a workaround, using a two chanel mixer but I undertood octal machines were planed not to be to elementary. Let's considere a stereo vocoder, for instance. If we want a stereo output, we will have to use two mono vocoders machines and a complicated route scheme. 2. Mixers and diffusion. As we read here these days, there are many not-so-trivial ways to mix signals. With the stereo design, i can not write a more than two tracks mixer as a machine. And what about a height tracks diffusion, often used in concrete music ?

So, what is the reason for having only stereo machines ?

Vivien