Re[2]: [Octal-dev] OCTAL and literate programming

From: Ola Sverre Bauge
Subject: Re[2]: [Octal-dev] OCTAL and literate programming
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 21:17:55 +0200 (MEST)

Dave O'Toole:
 >   I'm writing a very "low-commitment" literate programming tool.  (see
 >   literateprogramming.com if you haven't heard of it.) It's written so
 >   that you *don't* need to process the source files just to compile
 >   them; you need only filter them when making a TeX file.

...so this would only provide half the benefit, ie
nicely-formatted comments which can be instantly turned into
documentation, but you still  have to arrange the code the
way the compiler likes it, right?

Hmm.  Would this mean you'd have to write the comments out
of order, which would then be untangled when it gets
LaTeXed?  Sounds fairly horrible to me.

 >   I have some preliminary docs (but oddly enough, no program!!  :-) if
 >   anyone wants to see.

Sure.

 > Then, if you feel like it, you can run the litprog tool on the .c file
 > and get some LaTeX. Then if you print it out, it looks **very** nice,
 > which is more than I can say about printed HTML files :-(

True.  DVI files are really clunky on a monitor, though.

        -Ola <address@hidden>