[Octal-dev] Re:Octal Machines

From: Richard Wesley Todd
Subject: [Octal-dev] Re:Octal Machines
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:13:28 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,
Being new to real-time music systems (I'm a CSound guy), I'm interested to
see how OCTAL comes out.  I'm planning to write a couple simple machines
tonight to try it out.  I have a couple comments:

1) Is there a planned mechanism by which machines can get, for instance,
the current sample rate (or at least send it with ox_create)?
2) The ox_api says it ox_work() makes sound return 1, otherwise 0.  I
think this would be cleaner (and easier to remember) with #defines.
3) The idea to do a literate programming approach is great! I use noweb
for my projects.
4) Can an interconnected group of machines be treated as one simple
machine by the interface (i hope this is clear---complexity hiding
like using millions of transistors but just dealing with a simple
square 'Pentium')?  I think that would be a nice feature...but then again
I'm thinking in terms of csound and maybe 'tracking' isn't so much about
this type of thing.

Richard Todd
address@hidden