Re: [Octal-dev] porting thoughts

From: Ian McKellar
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] porting thoughts
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:14:28 +0800

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 08:08:57PM -0400, Dave O'Toole wrote:
> This isn't a primary goal, but I think it would be very nice to have
> ports of OCTAL to other operating systems. This is a few months away
> (GUI work is starting probably tomorrow) but I think it would be good to
> discuss it now.
>
> I see several scenarios for world domination.
>
> 1. Since GTK+ is working on windows and beos, OCTAL can be ported to
> both. (Someone already did a quickie port of an older version to Win32,
> but as there is no GUI or threading code yet anyway, this was probably
> deceptively easy.)

Threading should be trivial if you're using the GThread abstraction layer
in GLib - it has been ported (AFAIK) to both BeOS and Windows.

> But I'm not sure just how well GTK+ is working on other operating
> systems. I know at least some of it is working; i have seen screenshots
> of the Gimp running in Win32. Does anyone have experience doing this?
> What's working, and what's not? How's the stability?

Gimp/win32 is pretty cool.

> 2. The GUI is rewritten for those other operating systems. This sounds
> like a big time-waster if there are ways to port instead, but if people
> who are expert in programming those GUI's can help out this would go
> much more quickly.

I think its a big time waster. If someone feel motivated they would be
better off porting GTK to other OSs.

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar |    Email: yakk(a)yakk.net |    Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Area: +61 (8) | Home: 9389 9152 | Fax/Voice: 9260 2903 | Work: 9384 4700