Re: [Octal-dev] porting thoughts

From: Neil Nelson
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] porting thoughts
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 07:10:58 -0700

"Bullwinkle J. Moose" wrote:

> ,,,
> If the Backend and the interface are separated to that degree, it would be
> possible
> for each to follow along on its own development track, so the backend could
> get at
> least close to 1.0 status by summer's end, focusing strictly on doing the job
> of
> being back end as well as possible, but then the interface would have to
> catch up...

> Is it worth it?  Is all the flexibility and power worth the slightly more
> complex
> development track?
> I would think it is, but that it just my opinion...

Bullwinkle, I am looking forward to your apparently thorough recoding of the
Octal
system.  But before doing many code changes, it may be a good idea to take a
small portion of the system, prototype it (code it up) and run it by Dave
O'Toole.
But in any case, thank you for contributing a good portion of your summer to
this
coding effort.

Before I get too far along the previous line, I am reminded of my own grand
software
schemes and how ploddingly slow the actual work is toward them, but I actually
do
make a little progress each day.  We have words, and then we have deeds.

Neil Nelson