Re: [Octal-dev] Plugin Comments

From: the delusional sine fiend
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] Plugin Comments
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:58:50 -0500

On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 07:36:13PM -0700, Neil Nelson wrote:
> Sound sources (instruments, notes):  In briefly searching
> the web this morning, I did not see a good library of, say, high-quality
> open-source sound files, although in the past I have seen several commercial
> compilations and one or two of those this morning.  (As an aside, the
> current debate on copyright issues for music will eventually be in favor
> of the copyright holder though enforcement will be difficult.  This makes
> my several hundred CD library useless for the current purpose.  Though
> perhaps the essential sound signature/formant of an instrument, such as a
> violin, could not be copyrighted such that copyrighted recordings could be
> analyzed for these essential signatures, but some discussion and research
> may be in order.)
>
> How are Octal users obtaining (or intend to obtain) their sound source
> files?

In the tracking world, we do this in 3 general ways:
1)Make our own (synthesis + the like)
2)Sample from outside sources
3)"rip" from other modules

1 has no copyright problems associated with it. Most trackers(people, not
programs) let people do 3, and if they don't they'll usually make it known.
You usually won't get into copyright problems if you do 2 unless you sample a
substantial and obvious part of it (i.e., sampling the chorus parts of 80s
music and using them in bad rap songs :P). If one was to sample, say, one
note of a guitar riff, they probably wouldn't get into copyright problems.
Even using a small obscure loop of a song won't. (There was recently a
discussion on another list, in which this one person took a loop of a bass
guitar, pitch shifted it, mangled it in other ways as to distance it from
the original, and used it. He later heard the same loop used untouched in
another song. Neither party has been sued, AFAIK. The RIA is evil but not
Big Brother yet.)

There's a free sample library at http://www.maz-sound.com/ someplace.
http://www.noisemusic.org/ has one also. I know they're gratis and i think
they're libre. There's also the samplering at
http://www.united-trackers.org/samples/index.htm . I don't know about the
licensing on those sites.

--
_]pyro p_]the delusional sine fiend_]_]_]_]_]_]_]_]_]
address@hidden://www.rydia.net/~pyrop/_]