Re: [Octal-dev] text format for param

From: Luka Frelih
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] text format for param
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:17:22 +0200

>       I think that it is a great idea, but, perhaps, instead of pass a
> string, let the param be a long value that you could typecast into a
> pointer to any type (char *, my_struct *, etc); e.g. Similar to the third
> param of ioctl system call.

as far as i understand it, all params are internaly declared as
param type and are cast when passed to the machine depending
on the format value that the machine assigns for this param

internally for the machine, this doesn-t really matter, as
the machine could recast the param, but specifiying this in the
api would enable the rest of the system to present this
info as text and not as hex numbers.

i think it's not necessary to support variable lenght strings,
as whole words can be entered one letter at a time, adding timing
info  to the text