Re: [Octal-dev] octal's tracker heritage [was re: text params]

From: Dave O'Toole
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] octal's tracker heritage [was re: text params]
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:59:16 -0400

Edward Coffey wrote:

> And updated dynamically while the user is dragging a slide-bar in a control
> box as in Buzz?

Yes :-)

> setting) come up when someone clicked a cell that was displaying a
> mini-widget or "ox_desc" output, so they could use whatever widgit was
> provided there.  Of course, cells displaying the raw data could be edited

If a mini-control-box pops up whenever you edit a pattern in a given
machine, right next to it, this might be made easier. I.e. a column
lights up when the mouse is over it, and the corresponding widget in the
box lights up.

> I think the simplest way for someone not familiar with trackers to enter a
> row of control codes would be directly from some form of the control box.
> Right-clicking the start of a row or something like that could bring up some
> form of the control box, then when you hit OK in the control box, the
> settings could be put into the row.  In Buzz, the control box seems to be
> useful only for experimenting while the song is running, any cool settings
> you find still have to be entered by hand.

Being able to take "snapshots" of current settings is something Buzz was
sorely missing, and being able to insert these directly to a pattern row
is a good idea... a sort of "patch."

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden