Re: [Octal-dev] text format for param?

From: the delusional sine fiend
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] text format for param?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:32:53 -0500

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 03:17:18AM -0400, Dave O'Toole wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> >
> > on this particular point:
> >
> > Trackers have almost always used the hexadecimal convention in the
> > interface.
> > This had the advantage of being able to stick more numbers in a few columns.
> > Some trackers have the possibility to switch hexadecimal to decimal for
> > example
> > in row numbers. Anyway tracking is a kind of sound/music hacking so I think
> > nobody was ever bothered by that.
>
> Buzz uses decimal for row numbers. This is ok because there's only going
> to be one such column at a time, so the extra digit(s) don't hurt much.
> However for consistency it might be better to use hex. Not totally sure.

Impulse Tracker uses decimal in the volume column and hex in the effects
column. This annoyed the bloody hell out of me when i was learning it. Also,
you can make the volume column into a second effects column by using values
that LOOK HEX such as A3, D7...oy.

I say use hex for everything, because using hex for one thing is going to
scare away the same number of people using hex for everything will :)

--
_]pyro p_]the delusional sine fiend_]_]_]_]_]_]_]_]_]
address@hidden://www.rydia.net/~pyrop/_]