Re: [Octal-dev] Re:rythms

From: Dave O'Toole
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] Re:rythms
Date: Mon Jul 24 23:43:03 2000

address@hidden wrote:

<snip common sense>

I agree with you here...

> MIDI setups work this way, on a fine user-defined scale of 60 to hundreds
> of 'ticks' per quarter note.  But it's still all based on GCM, as
> the standard values all have many divisors.   If I understand tracking
> (which I don't claim to do), you traditionally have 64 slots to work with

Yeah, many traditional-style trackers do stick to 64 ticks-per-pattern.
I think this is the source of the old confusion over tracking "only
being able to do 4/4" which doesn't apply to recent ones like Buzz. Buzz
had the capability, however its support for other time signatures was
IMO flawed because of the editor not properly highlighting things to
show the structure of your beats (has this been fixed in recent
versions?)

If you allow patterns of arbitrary length and beats of different lengths
then everything should work. Users will still need to plan ahead a
little when doing something weird but this shouldn't be a big problem.

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden