Re: [Octal-dev] crash?

From: Dave O'Toole
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] crash?
Date: Mon Jul 31 23:32:03 2000

Luka Frelih wrote:

> > The significant changes are summarized in the intro to the OXAPI
> > guide---this is on the octal home page in HTML if you prefer not to deal
> > do the latex thing. If you would like to see what changed and why that's
> > a good place to look. I would like to hear feedback on them if you have
> > any, such as "thanks great idea" or "my god that sucks!!!" :-) I've
> > attempted to make a few things a) simpler to code machines and b) more
> > thread-safe.
>
> yeah... i saw you simplifed the parameter passing protocol
> this way a machine with lots a parameters won't have to 'guess'
> which ones are changing. ;)

Yeah, I realized there was no reason for the intermediate storage
(former "params" member of machine) and no reason to make the machine
programmer participate in the logic to traverse this data structure, so
this is simpler.

> if i understand this function will be called for all non-null
> entries in all patterns (in the current row)

Yes. It may also be called in-between rows of the sequencer; machine
coders don't need to worry about that, just remember that update() won't
get called at the same time as work().

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden