Re: [Octal-dev] audio in linux

From: Neil Nelson
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] audio in linux
Date: Thu Aug 3 11:08:04 2000

Johan Rydberg wrote:

> In main.c, line 58:
>
>   e->block_size = 8820;
>
> I want to change this, to for example:
>
>   e->block_size = 2205;
>
> Why?  To reduce latency from 200ms to 50ms. But when I do this,
> everything sounds very different.
>
> Any ideas?

You appear to be using the prior release as the new release does
not have this line in main.c.

As a note, I just compiled the new release and no sound was generated
by executing octal-test.  There is likely some item previously mentioned

that slipped by my attention.

Back to main.c of the prior release....  At the top of main.c there is
the
line

  #define BLOCK (TICK/5)

which does not appear to be substituted elsewhere and becomes the
8820 in

  e->block_size = 8820;

Just to be on the safe side, I changed both of those lines to

  #define BLOCK (TICK/20)

  e->block_size = BLOCK;

which gives your 2205 result above.

The only difference in the resulting sound that I could tell is that
the notes are executed faster (a faster tempo, 4 times as fast).
Since the computer is working a little harder by executing the
update functions at a faster rate, you could possibly hear clicks or
breaks, as compared to the initial block setting, as the computer
pauses the output to catch up.

Do you get the expected result on the initial block setting, and
what is the nature of the sound on the changed block setting with
which you are concerned?

Neil Nelson