Re: [Octal-dev] audio in linux

From: Dave O'Toole
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] audio in linux
Date: Thu Aug 3 22:36:03 2000

Johan Rydberg wrote:

>   e->block_size = 8820;
>
> I want to change this, to for example:
>
>   e->block_size = 2205;
>
> Why?  To reduce latency from 200ms to 50ms. But when I do this,
> everything sounds very different.
>
> Any ideas?

It's up in the air if you don't give an idea of what you're trying to do
with it or any more detailed description of what changes about the
sound. If you are using the "demo" code that comes with the old version
(I am still waiting for the sysadmin to fix my file permissions; GNU
moved a system.) then I would say the problem you are having is that the
demo code in the old main.c pretends that blocks are ticks (sequencer
rows.) So when you reduce the block size you reduce the length of each
note in the demo. This will not be true in the final version; block_size
will probably never be over 1000.

Are you using output.c completely independently of any other octal code
or are you using the demo code?

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden