Re: [Octal-dev] audio in linux

From: Dave O'Toole
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] audio in linux
Date: Thu Aug 3 22:49:03 2000

Guenter Seethaler wrote:

> This is the way i did it in delphi with directX. So the response time is the
> latency and we still have the ticks ( note/parameter changes in the patterns
> ) at the right time.
> Am i thinking too complex on this ?

That is one way to do it. What I was planning is:

1. block_size is usually something like 512 or 1024
2. choose a sound card fragment size that is say 2 or 4x larger than
block_size
3. use ordinary blocking i/o with /dev/dsp since you don't want to run
way far ahead anyway; don't use a separate thread
4. for each tick, do blocks until there is less than block_size samples
left in the tick. at that point just generate a block that is the size
of the remainder.
5. start a new tick

--
@@@ david o'toole