Re: is octal dead.

From: Knos
Subject: Re: is octal dead.
Date: Mon Oct 30 10:58:01 2000

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:14:39 -0500
David O'Toole <address@hidden> wrote:

> > agreed ;)
> >
> > just posted this because i restarted composing with buzz yesterday after a
> > quite long pause ;)
> >
> I keep wanting to, but NOT letting myself do much new stuff with Buzz
> sort of keeps me working on Octal :-) cause I want to finish it and do
> tons of new tracks.

I was trying to produce my tracks only in linux using
soundtracker+csound+pd+snd+sweep+spiralsynth for 4 months but i finally
installed buzz yesterday because I haven't been able to produce anything
worthwhile. :(
( well and also for other personal reasons )

and buzz is very inspiring :)

> > btw i saw that some people were using windows' dll to enable replaying of
> > proprietary
> > video format using windows codecs... if octal is not dead, it may be
> > hackable to use
> > some wine code to load buzz machines' dll...
> >
> Oddly enough that was the original scope of the Octal project ,waaaay
> back in '99 when this all started. I later decided that I'd like to go
> beyond it and do a fresh start that had fewer limitations and more
> flexibility. But the API's are just similar enough that we may be able
> to do a wrapper.

yes it should be possible... it would be a shame not to be able to benefit from
the huge
number of buzz machines out there.

> Is anyone familiar with Wine ? I've run Buzz on it
> (slowly) but I don't know much about its internals.

I checked out the cvs today, well wine seems to be a quite huge project, so
it's not that easy
to browse the source. I located the dll loader to be in /loader, apparently
most of the interesting
stuff is there.
An example of use can be found in libaviplay. They basically ripped off
the dll loader from wine, and are loading the windows' video codecs that way.
Of course for that to
work you need dll loader + export a sufficient number of standard windows
functions and structures
used by the plugins. here i can't help having absolutly no knowledge of windows
programming, but
that doesn't seem like a huge task. just very hackish.

-Nicolas Leveille (Knos)