Re: release? plus other stuff

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: release? plus other stuff
Date: Tue Nov 28 17:33:01 2000

is the code now capable of loading and exercising machines? if so, i'd really
like to se another interim release without the unfinished bits, just something
to enable us to write machines for the final API and test/hear them... so that
once the system is finished there will also be some machines for it.

I would like to put out something ASAP along these lines. Actually the code has been capable of "loading and exercising machines" for some time now,.... this summer I did a demo of two simultaneously playing square wave melodies run thru a simple delay module, all connected using the system's API. There just isn't a GUI yet, and parts of the sequencer have yet to be coded. (This is a tracker, so I doubt the sequencer is going to be much work :-)

As I remember, the 0.5 release was erased from GNU's alpha server when they moved it, sometime this fall. And since then I have had a lot of trouble getting back into my account, I will email someone again to see if I can get this moving.... yet another chapter in my endless struggle with the world's most fussy/fragile security software "Kerberos". :-) In the meantime I've attached the old 0.5 tarball to this message.

i'm also thinking about websites which would collect machines and now i
want to write a tool which would load a plugin and spit out the machine
info in some text form

Take a peek into machine.c... it fills in the "machine_type" structure according to data retrieved from loading the plugin's shared object (*.so). Sounds like it could be a fun idea for auto cataloguing.

could know the parameters needed for any machine. hey, you could compose in
a browser... :)

Heh :-). Who knows, anyone here know XUL?