re: re: updates

From: David O'Toole
Subject: re: re: updates
Date: Fri Jan 19 19:15:02 2001

> It's really good to hear you've made so much progress.  Do you have any
> plans to implement MIDI i/o or a LADSPA plugin interface?  I might be
> able to help with those things, or whatever else needs work.

MIDI: yes, definitely. I have all the equipment I'd need for testing as I
have some MIDI gear. I would also like to make sure this works with XInput
so that you can use things like graphics tablets (pressure sensitive!) to
control volume, sort of like a ribbon controller.

LADSPA: I think so. I have been following ladspa on and off since Octal
first got started, and I've kind of been pulled in a different
direction. I think that a wrapper, at least for effects, could be
implemented. Getting audio in and out should be similar enough. As for
generators or things that will need Octal's wavetable, I'm less optimistic
about the compatibility there, because they make a lot of different
assumptions. But I am willing to talk with someone who is familiar with
coding a ladspa host and see what the possibilities are.

> BTW, my ftp space is still available for Octal stuff
> (slumber.dhs.org/octal) if it's still of any use..

Things have been quiet so I don't think there have been any new
plugins. Frankly I don't blame anyone, as there hasn't been anything to
play with yet :-). Though this will change soon.

But I am thinking about how a plugin repository would work. Each plugin
could be identified by two URL's.... something like

octalmachines.sourceforge.net/getmachine.php?id=mono_delay
octalmachines.sourceforge.net/infomachine.php?id=mono_delay

One script delivers some info about the plugin, the other actually echoes
it to the web browser. So doing "wget" on that first URL could save the
plugin into a file, and this could also be done on mirrors.

There was a discussion a while back about security, having no trojan horse
plugins. (Not that I think anyone here is doing them of course
:-) but down the road if this program has many users, it could
happen.) Grepping for system() and popen() might help, though
surely people could get around that with preprocessor token pasting. I
don't remember who mentioned it, he basically said we should have someone
audit them and read thru the source before putting it in the registry or
one of its mirrors.

I think this would make it easy for folks to put up mirrors and such,
since the registry would just be the plugin.c (or .cc) and a plugin.txt
info file. Plus those two small PHP scripts to make the URL's work. So if
you are looking to help out in the realm of web stuff, that would be a big
help.

We already have the octalmachines.sourceforge virtual domain, so I could
probably just add interested folks to the project. I think this would give
them web access there to help organize plugins.

Is this a completely silly idea, or could it work?

-dave