new machines

From: Brendan Howell
Subject: new machines
Date: Tue Jan 23 02:00:03 2001

It looks like things are firming up in the code base.  Exciting!  I'd like
to try writing some machines.
   I have only done DSP type coding in matlab so my background is not
great but I have a few ideas which I think could be simply implemented.
The first, I would describe as a cross-envelope.  This machine would have
two inputs, input A would be an audio signal which would be multiplied by
the amplitude of input B.  The way I envision it being used is to create
tempo patterns or humanizing factors.  For example, input A is a sampler
playing a loop of some classical string tune.  Input B is a funky
breakbeat from a drum machine.  The result is a sort of funky chopped
sounding pizzacato version of the original loop.  There are other more
bizzare and subtle uses but that was the one that came to mind first.  The
same principle could be applied to filters or other effects, not just an
amp.
  So, the question for you signals geeks is, can I get away with just
multiplying the amplitude of B by the input of A or will I have phasing
problems?  Or is there an easier way to do it?

rock on,

-Brendan