spinbuttons

From: Luka Frelih
Subject: spinbuttons
Date: Tue Jan 30 19:18:16 2001

> Which I would be doing a lot with knobs, since I have never seen any
> usable knob widgets. A GtkDial might be a slight improvement, but I have
> doubts.

this is IMHO, so no flamewars erupting please

a spinbutton control is just a way to manipulate
1 value while moving the mouse around, pressing
all the time down on the mouse button

we have 2 degrees of freedom in the input
1 in the output

so theres obviously >1 way to doit

my bet would be to put the user in control,
via preferences, how they like the value
to be changed if they move the mouse
along vertical and horizontal axes

for instance h=small steps, v=big steps

or h=linear, v=log

of course, there might be people who like to
'rotate' spinbuttons so a third option would
be using the angle traveled by the mouse
around the button center.

thats it. IMHO :)

anyway, nice to see some traffic here again
and happy about all the progress with the code

LF