Re: Widget for notes?

From: Fredrik Roos
Subject: Re: Widget for notes?
Date: Wed Jan 31 13:03:08 2001

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 12:22:35PM -0500, David O'Toole wrote:
> > If you have a complex synth that takes ~20 parameters, it can
> > be annoying to have all parameters visible in each track. A good
> > solution would be if you where able to hide the parameters you
> > aren't interested in.
> > What do you think?
>
> Sort of like the "disappearing" toolbars in Netscape, where clicking
> collapses a group of controls? Sounds like a good idea. Also, a notion of
> "global parameters" can be added to the API very cleanly.

The problem is that the musician might not agree with the machine developer
about what parameters should be global. More configuration options to worry
about... :)

> GTK has toolbar docks that allow people to "tear off" and rearrange
> things. I will probably be making use of those at least to play around
> with.

I was thinking more along the lines of a list of checkboxes. But regardless of
how you do it, i see this as a very important point. I really liked buzz in the
early alpha days, when machines where simple and had at the most 5 parameters.
Then when people started doing more complex synths, the limitations in the UI
became too much to deal with.

> I have Octal running on another desktop now. It's just outputting silence,
> but I wrote a quickie white noise generator and I'm going to test actual
> generation again (this time with GUI.) If that works fine, I will do a
> release (with the updated OXAPI developer's guide) this weekend.

What's new in oxapi? New widgets/parameters or bigger changes?

> Sorry about the long time for this release, I just feel like there's not
> much reason to do that until you can actually poke it and get it to make
> some sound. :-)

Looking forward to it. Actually, if you need any help with the coding, i
would be more than happy to help out. The sooner i can stop using
windows for music, the happier i would be. :-)

Another suggestion: is it / will it be possible to separate the left/right
channel from stereo machines? A trick i often used in buzz to get some
interesting effects.

    --fredrik