Re: big picture stuff (long message)

From: Danny P.
Subject: Re: big picture stuff (long message)
Date: Fri Feb 2 22:00:02 2001

I dont want to have to code a python script up >everytime I want to use a simple LFO, do you?

hehe. No, you only code a script once, silly :) Anyways, the suggesting wasn't about replacing simple sine or triangle LFO's with python scripting...

If you wanted to control patterns using wierd-ass functions other >than LFOs, a python script might make sense for that, but I still >think you are better off putting those wierd ass functions into the >machines themselves and then triggering them and modulating them >with patterns.

When I said I found buzz's system restrictive, I was refering to the pattern editor. I'm certain octal's will be light years ahead (I hope at least in the cut/copy/paste area ;) The pattern editor is a good idea, but it restricts musical composition to what the pattern editor provides(especially effect!). The piano-style editor is much better for transcribing a riff from my mind, anyways...

I would actually use python to code my machines. I would code performance-intensive parts in c and access them through Python. Also, Python provides an interface to BSDDB, so arbitrary code blocks can be stored inside a berkely database (key -> code).

Dave: swig isn't hard. It's actually surprisingly easy.
a) I would do it :)
b) It only needs to be done every time there is an update in the API

Anyways, all this is an eventuality. I'm extremly busy right now...
I'm sure a lot of people would love to be able to write a script that represents a musical idea... I would :)

Dan