Re: big picture stuff (was re: widget)

From: Jared
Subject: Re: big picture stuff (was re: widget)
Date: Sat Feb 3 02:27:02 2001

> I dont know why you think this would be helpfull.  I have never seen a
> Buzz machine with too many paramaters.  Even if the pattern view is
> wider than my screen, the paramater view always fits nicely on my
> screen and lets me view all my paramaters at once.  I find that
> convenient and easy.  Collapsable frames would just clutter it up with
> little collapse buttons and expand buttons.  I have no problems
> scrolling left and right to get to other columns in the pattern editor
> either.  Its easier to scroll left and right than it is to grab the
> mouse and click "collapse" and "restore" buttons.

        This might be a little complicated, but it is similar to a way
some cad/modelling software I use works.  What the machine could provide
is a list of the parameters available to the user.  If you want one you
grab it and drag the name onto a control place (a gtk container or
something I guess).  As you drag it on, it becomes the physical bit of
parameter changer, say a knob or slider or combo box or something.  The
best thing about this is each person can make their own machine layouts,
showing what they want, without the clutter of collapse/restore type bits.
A user could save their layout, some people might find a way to make a
flanger sound like something completely different using a few parameters
from the list or something. I know it's probably too little too late for
implementation, and probably a huge pain in the ass (Hi dave ;), but I
think it would be neat.