Re: big picture stuff ++

From: Knos
Subject: Re: big picture stuff ++
Date: Sat Feb 3 09:18:01 2001

[Knos <address@hidden>]

| The lfo thing was just one (silly) suggestion, you could have read the
| other
| suggestions:
| I would probably use that for exponential parameter slides or
| things of this kind. (and the parameter translation/dynamic range
| modification i mentionned)

ok to clarify, I see all this as completly offline. The scripts wouldn't
be run
while the tune is played but bound to a key or button and working on the
patterns'
value.

---

By the way. Complete different topic, mr dto are you aware of the 'OSC'
protocol?
Its a protocol for inter-device communication (a replacement for midi if
you want)
that is well adapted to computer implementations. Basically, it is a way
to expose
into a filesystem like (== hierachical) namespace all the parameters of a
synth.

Other applications can then communicate with the synth usig the name of
those parameters:

ex: Octal could expose /octal/machines/squaregen/frequency using the OSC
kit (ref coming below)

It could provide a way of integrating nicely octal with softs like jMAX or
PD, sequencers and the like.

(I don't know of many implementations of OSC client yet, but i know the
linux version of csound
implements it)

It would also have the advantage of not having to put midi support in the
core engine, replacing it
with a separate OSC-to-MIDI component.

urls:
http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OSC/