Re: big picture stuff ++

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: big picture stuff ++
Date: Sat Feb 3 11:54:02 2001

> ok to clarify, I see all this as completly offline. The scripts wouldn't
> be run
> while the tune is played but bound to a key or button and working on the
> patterns'
> value.

I'm sure something can be worked out, around the 1.1 or 1.2 stage. At this
point it would be hard to decide exactly how it should work, but I will
keep all kinds of control/editing possibilities in mind. Since it's
offline (i.e. just an alternative method for

> By the way. Complete different topic, mr dto are you aware of the 'OSC'
> protocol?
> Its a protocol for inter-device communication (a replacement for midi if
> you want)

It sounds like a neat idea. I had heard of it, but didn't know any
details. It seems to be a sort of "NFS for music", where things become an
abstract filesystem. Very UNIX-y :-). I'll look into what it takes to make
a host for it, as it might be pretty useful. In the short term I will
probably still implement some MIDI functionality, as it is extremely
common for control and in hardware.

> It could provide a way of integrating nicely octal with softs like jMAX or
> PD, sequencers and the like.

Now is this more for live stuff? I ask because I'm not sure how you would
save a song when the sequencer is outside the main program. But OSC might
provide a solution.

Anyway, these are all cool ideas. I will be looking into them.

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden