Re: big picture stuff ++

From: Knos
Subject: Re: big picture stuff ++
Date: Sat Feb 3 12:48:01 2001

[David O'Toole <address@hidden>]

| > ok to clarify, I see all this as completly offline. The scripts
| wouldn't
| > be run
| > while the tune is played but bound to a key or button and working on
| the
| > patterns'
| > value.
|
| I'm sure something can be worked out, around the 1.1 or 1.2 stage. At
| this
| point it would be hard to decide exactly how it should work, but I will
| keep all kinds of control/editing possibilities in mind. Since it's
| offline (i.e. just an alternative method for

Yes this is a gui problem which can be worked out later (granted we can
change easily the tracker
editor)

| > By the way. Complete different topic, mr dto are you aware of the
| 'OSC'
| > protocol?
| > Its a protocol for inter-device communication (a replacement for midi
| if
| > you want)
|
| It sounds like a neat idea. I had heard of it, but didn't know any
| details. It seems to be a sort of "NFS for music", where things become
| an
| abstract filesystem. Very UNIX-y :-). I'll look into what it takes to
| make
| a host for it, as it might be pretty useful. In the short term I will
| probably still implement some MIDI functionality, as it is extremely
| common for control and in hardware.
|
| > It could provide a way of integrating nicely octal with softs like
| jMAX or
| > PD, sequencers and the like.
|
| Now is this more for live stuff? I ask because I'm not sure how you
| would
| save a song when the sequencer is outside the main program. But OSC
| might
| provide a solution.

well OSC is deisgned for live situations (simlarly to the midi protocol)
so a nice addition if you want to tranform your current octal machine
network
into an "instrument" ... or if I want to do stupid stuff like sending
event to octal from a perl script listening to the ntework  ;)

Of course it's a bit of a hassle if you want to use it to compose on a
different
sequencer, but that's the same problem with midi and having hardware
instruments :)

-n