Re: 5.1 format

From: Edward Coffey
Subject: Re: 5.1 format
Date: Wed Feb 21 06:36:04 2001

Jared wrote:

Hey guys,
        Just a question on whether or not Octal will support 5.1 natively
or through a plug-in/machine?

I haven't been following the development very closely, so I'm not 100% sure. The Octal machine API has clearly defined Left and Right channels, plus an auxiliary channel (or multiple aux channels, I'm not sure), so connections between machines are basically going to be stereo. However it may be possible to have a 5.1 output machine that takes two inputs, 1: left right (centre), 2: rear-left rear-right (sub), and outputs a file/stream of the appropriate format. As far as I know the only way for Octal to have native support for every new sound configuration that comes out would be to have arbitrary channels, rather than specific left, right, centre etc. channels. The downside of that would be that every time you wanted to connect two stereo machines together you'd need to make two separate connections, and for 5.1 channel machines you'd need to make 6 connections each time!