Re: 5.1 format

From: Marco Ballini
Subject: Re: 5.1 format
Date: Thu Feb 22 14:21:02 2001

I don't know what 5.1 is, but I think that the possibility of having multiple inputs is a good idea.
This might allow developers to build, for example, effects even more complex than a vocoder or, in general, to use more than one aux input as a control signal.
Also letting machine developers having multiple outputs could be a nice thing; just as an example, I'm thinking of a drum machine that as many outputs, so that you can process them independently, still having a single block representing it in the machine view. The desktop space is limited (as monitors are) and two many machines make the network hard to read.
The problem that, with multiple inputs and/or outputs, every time you want to connect two stereo machines together you'd need to make two separate connections might be overriden using GUI facilities (lets' say for example that this might be the default connection and that for other kinds you should use a different combination of keys).
In my opinion one feature that makes a project long-living is the possibility to add new functions, and a condition for having it is letting every single developer the freedom to choose. What I mean is that, as a general rule, having fixed parameters (such as the number of inputs) might preclude future possibilities.
- I think that the reason of the great success of B*zz comes from the fact that it broke the traditional tracker scheme introducing an element of flexibility: the machine network. While its downsides, in my opinion, are in its limiting User Interface that does not provide any other way of editing songs than entering number (no piano roll,  no pentagram, no MIDI...): it doesn't let people choose.
Please excuse my bad english.
Best regards,

Marco