Re: Machines n stuff

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: Machines n stuff
Date: Mon Feb 26 14:57:10 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Jared wrote:

>       Well, I hacked daves square wave generater machine and made a sine
> wave machine. Its rough, but I want to go to bed :). I found a couple of

Wicked :-) ! I'm glad that ppl are having fun with this. I know I am :-)
during development.

Um, I guess it would be time to do an experimental plugin repository (i.e.
a webpage that takes the long name (ID) of a plugin as a form variable,
and returns the source code.) If no form variable is set, it could just
list the names and make links. (This would make it very wget-friendly, I
am thinking in terms of a little utility to automatically grab a machine
file, verify and build etc.)

> so here is a report anyway. I am pretty sure its just cause the code in
> core.c is a dodgy hack to get stuff working, but it probably wouldn't hurt

Yes, that's temporary :-). In the future core.c won't be creating machines
on its own without direction from the user or a save file. But it is still
good to point these things out, because it always gets us thinking about
API's and correctness of the program.

>       1. mc_get_type(), when called with a name that doesn't exist
>          returns zero. This is all good and well until you call
>          mc_create with 0, which promptly seg-faults and core dumps.

I will alter mc_create to check for this condition. Then of course
mc_create will return NULL, which the user will have to check for :-).

However, basically just the save-file loader and the GUI will need to be
doing this, so it is ok if the end-user needs to check. But I will add
assertions for now so that we can debug where this is happening.

>       2. The OX_WIDGET_SLIDER along with note2freq (but more likely my
>          code, except Dave's squarewave did it aswell) seem to wrap
>          from high to low at the top end. Probably my code. I don't know

Now that is weird. I don't think it's the GtkScale, but I will try
debugging its output values and also check what comes out of
pkg->note2freq.

By the way, the C++ wrapper hasn't been updated in a little while, so I
wouldn't try to use it yet.

> Apart from that its looking real slick dude.  Building machines is a
> sinch! Its nice to have a platform where all I really have to worry about
> is the sound generation, not output, nor control or anything else.

Mmm :-) Especially if you use a good GTK+ theme, it looks very nice.

Thanks for pointing out these issues, every little bit helps make a more
polished program.

-dave

--
@@@ david o'toole