Re: Machines n stuff

From: Jared
Subject: Re: Machines n stuff
Date: Tue Feb 27 13:45:02 2001

> Um, I guess it would be time to do an experimental plugin repository (i.e.
> a webpage that takes the long name (ID) of a plugin as a form variable,
> and returns the source code.) If no form variable is set, it could just
> list the names and make links. (This would make it very wget-friendly, I
> am thinking in terms of a little utility to automatically grab a machine
> file, verify and build etc.)

        Perhaps you might want to start a CVS thing going, as people start
to work on both plugins and the main code.  You could have a plug in tree
and just munge the CVS each day to make the html. Just an idea, and I
think it will be useful as more people start to hack your code to bits ;)

> Thanks for pointing out these issues, every little bit helps make a more
> polished program.
>
> -dave

        Ha ha ha, now you've done it! You'll never hear the end of me now!
Firstly, I assume that not all the OX_WIDGETs are done yet?  I tried to
make a OX_WIDGET_OPTION by guessing at stuff, but it seems that none of
the code seemed to know about it (Yup, I just checked, only NOTE and
SMALL in machine.h).  Did you use Glade to make your widgets?  Do you have
any objections to people adding/implementing WIDGETs?
Secondly (and this is only minor, if somewhat of a pain in the ass), the
control boxes for a machine are growing/shrinking with the largest desc
string.  I had no list box, so I made a SMALL with only a range from 0-2
and had a different string for each value. As you move the slider, the
control box jiggles around.  I can't think of an easy way off the top of
my head to impose some maximum size without restricting people overly,who
knows, maybe a description like "You need to turn this thing right up for
interesting stuff to happen" could be a valid description.  The thing is,
if you allow too much flexibility, its going to be merry eck trying to get
every control to sit in a box properly and look decent.
An idea would be to limit the number of characters displayed in the desc
field, yet let the desc string be as long as you want for display in a
tooltip or something.  It would become pretty obvious that there was more
to come

[---||---] You need to...

Put your mouse over it and you get a nice tooltip popup with all the info
you need in it.

BTW guys, my sine osc sucks ass, I suspect there are harmonics being
generated, hence the clicking. I don't know how to get rid of it, someone
please fix it and tell me how they did it :)