minor news items

From: David O'Toole
Subject: minor news items
Date: Tue Mar 6 21:03:01 2001

1. The octal web page has been updated with new graphics and a new
project description.

2. I can't remember who raised the issue ATM, but someone said that the
top part of the slider for notes was actually sounding like lower notes.
I think what is happening is that he high end of the slider is getting
frequencies that are above the Nyquist frequency, so artifacts
(reflected at lower frequencies) are bound to happen. Again, we're not
really supposed to have sliders for notes at all---once the sequencer
GUI is working the note slider will go away. So this is a temporary
thing. In the meantime, until we switch to 96Khz sampling rate for
audio, let's not use the high end of the note range :-)

3. The machine display is now double-buffered... it is noticeably
smoother/quicker (especially when you drag a control-box over top of the
display.) One side effect of this is that if you change themes, the
machine display stays stuck in the old theme until you click one of the
machines :-/. I bet there's a GTK+ signal to detect events like theme
changes, but until then bear with me.

My favorite themes to look at Octal with so far are: Birth, SpiffGTK,
Crux, ChaosGTK.

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden