Re: some simple physical modelling

From: ben
Subject: Re: some simple physical modelling
Date: Mon Mar 12 12:15:02 2001

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 11:18:24AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> Hey Matt,
>
> How about allocating a separate buffer to each track?  Your code doesn't
> include
> provisions for multiple tracks yet, but when you add it I think the problem
> will
> take care of itself.
>
> I mean, when you pluck a guitar string twice in a row, it cuts itself off, so
> from one standpoint, having multiple plucks within a given track cut each
> other
> off makes more sense than not -- basically it makes the analogy that each
> track
> models one string.  If you want to properly emulate a six-stringed instrument,
> say, then you use six tracks.

However, it would also be nice to be able to use one track to play a
melody with all notes sustained, something like playing a melody on a
piano with the sustain pedal held.  Using tracks for polyphony works
well for emulating lute-like instruments, but it's not as easy for more
harp- / piano-like instruments.

I think a combination of Matt's method 1 (but maybe so the number of
buffers (degree of polyphony) could be set as a parameter) and
your idea would be good.  Maybe there could be two modes: one where each
track would have its own set of buffers / independent polyphony (so if
you wanted to emulate a 6-stringed instrument you would set the
per-track polyphony to 1), and one where all tracks would share the same
polyphony (one set of buffers), for more harp- / piano-like things.

Just some ideas..

-ben