Linking libraries in machines.

From: Jared
Subject: Linking libraries in machines.
Date: Fri Mar 16 17:51:02 2001

Hey guys,
        I GOT CABLE?! (it's a big deal in Australia - well, some parts of
it anyway) So after being netless for a couple of weeks I can once again
feed my addiction! ;)
        Ooh, so much has happened, soo many big things happening, soo long
to read through all the mail.  Is the latest version available anywhere?

        Anyway, the main point of this message is to ask what guidlines
are there (if any) for using other libraries? Probably best if I give an
example.  Say I am designing a set of filter machines that require the use
of the FFTW (fastest Fourier Transform in the West) library.  I have this
on my computer, which is no problem, so it will all link and I will be
happy. I upload the source and same manic octal user downloads it to
create mayhem and eventually take over the world. Alas, our evil hero
becomes unstuck when he cant build the machine!  His compiler/linker are
probably giving bizzare and intelligible messages, so he runs home and
cries..... probably a good thing since now he can't take over the world,
however I am sure there are some people out there who are actually using
octal for good and not evil.  How is it that we are going to tell the user
what libraries they need before hand?  The obvious answer would be in the
readme etc, but I am wondering how many people are going to go "I need to
search for and install new stuff?? Nah, to hard, besides its past my
bedtime."

There's my ravings.