Re: Linking libraries in machines.

From: Neil Nelson
Subject: Re: Linking libraries in machines.
Date: Sat Mar 17 13:39:01 2001

mts wrote:

I suspect that this is the exactly thing that should be included in
GearLib...

On the other side, is reasonably to include whole FFTW in Gearlib?
There are licencing issues at the respect ?
Should we include in Gearlib every posible code piece that a developer could
need and convert-it to "the mother of all sound libraries" ?

I understand Octal to be a performance music or sound generator, while at
the moment the potential applications of FFTW for performance (live) sound
seem rather remote.  And the FFTW package is of a substantial size and
requires a specialized installation that seems a bit of an overkill. And then
there are some basic limitations in generating arbitrary sounds with the
discrete Fourier transform (FFTW) even if one could code the front-end
required to use it. It would be easier to have a library of sound sample files
that could be selected and immediately used.  And I remember mention of
a standard package for assembling sounds or sample files.

Regards,

Neil Nelson