Re: Octal on FreeBSD

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: Octal on FreeBSD
Date: Fri Mar 30 00:36:15 2001

> This is my first appearance on this list (though I'm a
> fairly long-time lurker), and I'll preface this by warning

Welcome!

> What I'm wondering is if Octal will be able to work 100%
> on FreeBSD.  Specifically, I remember some talk earlier
> in regards to Linux' low-latency capabilities... if these
> same features are not found in FreeBSD, will that impair

These are good questions. The default setup is not going to require
anything more than a suitable OSS device. That is, if you're not doing
live stuff or heavy keyboard recording, just doing
sequencing/mixing/arranging, then having a split-second buffer underrun
click when you start Mozilla is not going to be a disaster. It happens
with a lot of Windows apps too.

The config that uses very little buffering could work even without the
low-latency kernel. Things like XF4 may still give problems under load
conditions. But no function of the app should stop working just because
you're not on the special kernel. I know, because I won't try it on
anything other than plain kernels until late in the dev cycle. I want to
make sure it isn't too dependent on patches.

BSD might not have any problems right out of the box, it depends on how
their scheduling is built. We'd just have to try.

As for porting problems and the issues Soundtracker had, I will have to
ask M.K. and see what the details were. I have a BSD friend who may be
willing to help out with porting as well (he is experienced with common
Linux-->BSD hiccups.) And of course, BSD folks on this list could help
out by pasting any nasty compiler messages onto the mailing list :-)

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden