Re: porting Octal

From: Ross Litscher
Subject: Re: porting Octal
Date: Fri Mar 30 10:00:02 2001

Heya Marco. I'm not sure what the current state of it is, but I am pretty sure gtk+ is available for programming under ms-windows. I remember seeing screenshots of Gnome running on windows atleast.

ok, here is the site http://www.gtlinc.com/gnome-desktop.html
it seems though, that the user would need an X server, and i doubt many Windows users will just happen to have one installed. probably of more use to you would be http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/ which is the homepage for gtk+ for win32 systems. Using this instead of converting everything to wxWindows (i don't know what that is, actually) would probably save some time, i'm guessing.

Well, good luck with this :)
ross.

Marco Ballini wrote:

Your discussion about porting Octal to FreeBSD made me remember that David O'Toole once wrote about porting to Windows 2000 and my intentions of porting the GUI from gtk+ to wxWindows. As I'm quite new to programming I have some (probably stupid) questions about this issue. How much complicated could be the porting? I noticed in octal files some #include files, like <pthread.h> for example, and I was wondering how to substitute them when compiling with MS Visual C++ 4.0 for Windows 95. How many gtk+ specific (or even custom) widgets will Octal have? (I'm trying to valuate how much work will require to write new widgets for wxWindows). Anyhow I think it is better to wait till octal reaches a more mature version, also because I hope that will come the time when Windows users will want to switch to GNU/Linux to use Octal (as I am doing). Or is it better for Octal always to stay in a _free_ OS?

Best regards,

MarcoB