Re: porting Octal

From: Marco Ballini
Subject: Re: porting Octal
Date: Fri Mar 30 15:36:02 2001

Ross, thanks for your suggestions. I didn't know about an X server for Windows and I surely will have a look, but I know about the Win32 porting of gtk+. It seemed to me that it wasn't "finished" when I looked at it, but I have seen that a new patch is available on that site (http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/) from December 2000 and I will also look at it.
wxWindows is common C++ wrapper for many platform (in my opinion the best cross-platform toolkit) and is based:
- on gtk+ (wxGTK) or on Motif (or Lesstif) (wxMotif) for Linux,
- on Win32 for Windows,
- etc...
I tend to prefer wxWindows for two reason:
- It is really cross-platform: once one app is written with it, you can port it to practically any platform with no or little changes.
- it is easy to learn for who know MFC (I began programming with that MS toolkit), but it is easier an more powerful.

MarcoB