Re: some more machine updates

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: some more machine updates
Date: Thu Apr 19 15:00:03 2001

> hi!

Hey Luka!!

> as before, the scheme seems to be: use a common folder holding
> the octal folder
> (from gnu cvs), the octalmachines folder and now also the gearlib
> folder (from sourceforge cvs)

What I'd like to do is have an environment variable called OXBASE. That
way you can set up the installation dir once, and Octal itself can
retrieve the value of this variable to find the machine binaries during
startup.

Can you use an environment variable in a Makefile (i.e. defining the
octal include dir as $(OXBASE)/octal and the machines dir as
$(OXBASE)/octalmachines?

Luka, by the way, I put up a screenshot with some web-graphics concepts:

http://dto.qwsi.net/oxconcepts.jpg

Based on your suggestions (icons for each thing) I've done some rough
drafts and ideas. Let me know what you think.

Also, re: makefiles, I'm putting a section in the manual about a
standard way of distributing machines.. basically you have a folder
named after your machine, and that folder has 1. your sources and 2. a
make file whose default target should build the entire machine and
produce a binary *.so. Basically what everyone is already doing, but in
a consistent way (and with a single way to configure where the
directories/includes are) so that the build script can just update all
the installed machines at once and not need per-machine tweaking.

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden