RE: New in CVS

From: Unkargherth
Subject: RE: New in CVS
Date: Sat Apr 21 05:18:02 2001

Ok. I get It. So then should be a way ( in  gearlib or in octal core )
to access this kind of information outside the machines. Posibly and
external
enable call to functions in package will work if'its posible

( by the way  I'll take out this functions from GR_Conv as soon as i can)

> ------------------------
> ---David: What's the reason fro this two
> ---methods beign deeclared as static?
> ------------------------
>
> Initialize (also ox_init) /has/ to be static because it will only be
> called when it's impossible for any machine instances to exist. The init
> function is where you tell Octal about your machine type (by filling in
> that machine_type structure.) Octal needs this information to create an
> instance of your machine, and since it doesn't get the information till
> Initialize is called, there is no way to call "object.Initialize" since
> no objects can exist before then.
>
> Describe (ox_desc) is just your machine library's function for making
> its own parameter values into human-readable text in a consistent way.
> It has nothing to do with machine instances, and because of this, there
> are places in the host where there's not going to be any machine
> instances handy to pass to it if it weren't static.

OK. Now I'm making a machine , MGEN that uses Oscillator class to have
a two Osc generator one maodulating ( AM or FM selectable) the other.
As you sougested, thes Oscillatros are initialized, and he external
tables loaded at init time. and I' dont touch it anymore. The cuestion is:

The numbers of waves depends on the tables read, and if I try to access
the function Oscillator::GetWaveNum ( renamed, before was
Oscillator::GetnWaves)
from MGen::Initialize it doesn't compiles, as it's static, and haven't
access to
oscillator object, cause the machie object don't exixst at that point. Right
?

The same in the call to get the wavename form MGen::describe.

Now. How i Can do that ? I see no way but it's really need it ?

I suspect that if you add a Machine::Reset funcion to ox_wrappers that  it's
guaranteed
it's called inmediately after Initialize method, but with the object
instantiated and working
everything can be done there ( you have all the attributes and methods off
your machine, plus
acces to all package,core,etc method's and functions) . Plus this function
swould be useful if
somebody need to reset his machine in any moment ( all the value-
inizialization could be there)

An , once we started to request, Don't be a good idea to add a help function
for the machine?
It could open an info dialog, or spawn an external command to show info, get
tips,etc ?

More on Gearlib. Do you think the Oscillator Object should go in GearLib.
It's generic, has nothing
to do with machine itself.... ?

For the records: My real Name is Marti Trasmonte i Soro, but I prefer to be
know and be referred as
my alias, Unkargherth

Life is deadly. It always manages to kill you

Unkargherth <address@hidden>
http://www.unkargherth.f2s.com