Greetings and a couple of other things

From: David Griffin
Subject: Greetings and a couple of other things
Date: Sat Sep 22 10:48:01 2001

Hello-

My name is Griffin. I'm new to this list, so first off I thought I'd
say hello. I've been playing with Octal for a couple of weeks now and
I really like it.

I have noticed, however, one small problem (well, one worth mentioning
:-) It seems that widget type 'entry', while listed in the docs, is
not implemented. Or at least,  I get:

octal: gui/control_box.c:239:build_widget: Assertion '0' failed

The other thing I noticed is that having the 'param' type be a float
is very limiting. I'd like to get more info back from the widget than
merely a number. Ideally, I'd like the entry widget to return a char*.
But it might be nicer if param was a void*, and then widgets could
pass back an arbitrary data structure. This would let widget builders
make more complicated widgets.

I'd be willing to hack at either one of these issues. But I don't know
what the history is behind these decisions. So I thought I'd ask.

griffin

   david s. griffin
 address@hidden
   www.recompile.com