Re: Help on Octal capabilities

From: Albertas Agejevas
Subject: Re: Help on Octal capabilities
Date: Thu Oct 25 13:57:14 2001

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 12:05:50PM -0400, David O'Toole wrote:
> That should work, as long as the laptop is running an X server. If that is
> set up properly the remote display should work, though I must say from my
> experience that running a graphical application (i.e. things more
> advanced than xfontsel) can be a bit slow over a network line.

I wouldn't be so strict.  I used to run Netscape on my desktop, using
a laptop as an X terminal, when Konqueror on the laoptop was unable to
display something properly.  It's really OK over a 100Mbit ethernet.

I even used to run GIMP on Sun UltraSPARCs using SGI O2 as an X server
in one German university, because the Irices didn't have the GIMP
installed, and the SPARCs had only 8 bit displays. :-)

Cheers,
Albertas