Re: Octal in embedded system

From: Francis James Whittle
Subject: Re: Octal in embedded system
Date: Fri Nov 15 00:42:39 2002

Given the correct plugins and determination, octal could well become an Mp3 "system", although inclusion in an embedded device could become costly. Certainly if you were considering _selling_ the device.

Also, AFAIK the GNU project prefers to avoid Mp3 (for various licensing reasons), and therefore implementation of Mp3 seems unlikely. Of course, someone probably _could_ write the plugins, but they would not be a part of the main project. A more likely file format (and higher quality, lower size, et c.) would be Ogg Vorbis, that the GNU project has been in support of for quite a while (see http://www.vorbis.com/ and http://www.xiph.org/).

And lastly, as I understand that is not the point of the Octal project. Octal is more of a music synthesis metamachine or a mixing subsystem. But the core is already in place (Although it looks like David wants to overhaul the engine into Objective-C to make traditional C-ites (I mean traditional ~ites not C~) like myself confused.), so if you want to make this system, read the API docs and code it. No guarantees you'll get it done by next year though.

For a definite answer, you'll have to wait for David's response, of course.

Laters,
Francis Whittle