Re: ISO C++ and Octave

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: Re: ISO C++ and Octave
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 16:09:17 -0600 (CST)

fyi, does look like I finally have 2.1.33 working with gcc-2.97, except
for of course anything that uses formatting, and as a result, you'll
see 2 regressions at the very least -- sscanf-1, hex2dec (and perhaps
something else). Btw, John, you may want to reword the comment in
octave_scan (oct-stream.cc) ...

Turns out the only way I could find the problems, given that gcc was
being of no help whatsoever, was to first make Octave buildable under
Sun Workshop 5.0, and then use Sun Pro's much better diagnostics to
track and fix. My head hurts.

Speaking of Sun Workshop, I get the following:

  octave> sqrt (-1)
  ans = 6.1232e-17 + 1.0000e+00i

Obviously this doesn't tests like ``sqrt (-1) == 1i'' and tests fail.

  octave> eps
  2.2204e-16

Ideas?

I'll submit the patches after I update my tree from Octave CVS repo.

Regards,
Mumit