Re: capture command output

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: capture command output
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:27:39 +1100

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 06:56:17PM -0500, Paul Kienzle wrote:

> PS, Is there any way to override 'private'?  E.g.,
> by having your own copy of the header files with the word
> private replace by public whereever it occurs?  Or does the
> C++ ABI do something special when storing privates?

As far as I'm aware, there is no distinction at the binary level
between private & public vars - it is advice to the compiler only.

The proper way to do this is to insert a "friend" declaration within
a rewritten  class definition for which you need to access private
variables. That way, the compiler can still catch incorrect usage in
other parts of the code. I rely on this with my classdesc package -
and you can borrow the "insert-friend" utility from that package if
you need to rewrite a lot of code.

                                                Cheers

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")
Australia                                address@hidden