Scintilla for GUI ?

From: Craig Carey
Subject: Scintilla for GUI ?
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:12:53 +1300

Possibly a GUI for Octave could be implemented using Scintilla code:

   http://www.scintilla.org/

Scintilla is said to be able to run in Unix/etc.

I have online a demo program showing what can be done with Scintilla:

   http://www.ijs.co.nz/code/ada95_symbolic_algebra_polytope_logic.zip

Inside of the zip file is a *.EXE file (and source code) that implements
a GUI front-end for an algebra program. It is supposed to be similar to
REDUCE.

By putting the cursor over a previously entered region and pressing
enter it copies it to the bottom. Then if enter is pressed again, the
algebra program that was hung on a Get_Line () statement, reads the
data. The data starts with a read-only line number and ends with the
ends with the end of the text file (Scintilla implements a text-editor's
interface).

So lines are not ended with carriage-return or a linefeed (as in
Yacas unless backslashes are appended), nor are they entered with ";'
(which seems wrong if the text is bounded on both sides by read-only
line numbers).

My code uses the http://www.adapower.com/ GWindows binding. So it won't
run in FreeBSD and Linux. I did evaluate those and aim for cross
platform portability but there was an enduring not-fixed
pointer/mouse deceleration bug in XFree86's "xf86PostMotionEvent()"
routine. That is not being fixed and they were hoping that I would
do it but I didn't get very far since XFree86 was coded in C and not
in Ada 95.

I CC this to the Yacas project. It is slow to get data into Yacas and
out of it. Scintilla stores adjacent to each character byte, another
byte holding style information, which allows it to figure out if text
is a line number.

Other options include debugging rxvt.

I don't use Octave.

Craig Carey