Re: [OctDev] Re: Three build failures on alpha,hppa,ia64 (Re: octave-for

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Re: Three build failures on alpha,hppa,ia64 (Re: octave-forge 2004-02-12 release)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:53:12 -0600

[I'm moving this from octave-sources to octave-maintainers.  --jwe]

On 13-Feb-2004, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:

| We have another
| problem, though, in that the yyin symbol from xmltree_read
| conflicts with the yyin/yyout symbols from octave's lexer, giving the
| following error on OS X:

I've added options in Octave's parse.y and lex.l files so that the
external symbols are now prefixed by octave_ instead of yy.  In almost
all the code, you will still see yy, but there are a few places where
an explicit octave_debug or octave_parse are needed.  In the places
where this happens, I added some comments, so I hope that it doesn't
cause too much confusion.

For now I think this is OK, but I'm still in favor of putting all the
external C++ symbols from the Octave libraries inside an "octave"
namespace.  I think most of the symbols in C files are already
prefixed by octave_, but I think we should ensure that all are, and
make the naming consistent.

When we move symbols into namespaces, I think we should change the
names from octave_foo or oct_foo to be just foo.  The namespace will
add an octave:: prefix, which we can use in the source, either
explicitly or implicitly with "using namespace octave".

I'm not planning to make this change before the 2.1.54 snapshot, but I
think we should do it soon, because the longer we delay, the more pain
it will likely cause.

Comments?