namespaces (sort of)

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: namespaces (sort of)
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 14:35:38 -0400

John,

I've been playing a bit with internal m-file functions.  In particular,
using the wpolyfit.m I just posted to octave-forge, I discovered that
I can call the internal functions directly from the top level prompt:

        x = [1:6]; y = [2,6,9.5,16,27,35];
        [p,s]=wpolyfit(x,y,2);
        feval('wpolyfit:plt',x,y,[],p,s,0.05,'ci')

Should this sort of thing be encouraged or discouraged?

I suppose the only benefit to doing so is that I can bundle several
functions in one file. wpolyfit:plt shows up on the list of available
functions, so the namespace looks just as crowded as if I called
it wpolyfit_plt and put it in its own m-file. feval is not clever enough
to load wpolyfit.m to look for wpolyfit:plt.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden