Re: gset sends binary plot data to stdout

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: gset sends binary plot data to stdout
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:15:22 -0500

On 21-Feb-2005, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <address@hidden> wrote:

| Quentin Spencer wrote:
|
| > Good point. I haven't tried plots with large amounts of data in octave
| > for a while, but I remember it being slow. It seemed to me at the time
| > that a big cause of slowness was transfering data by ascii files to
| > gnuplot. Is anyone familiar enough with gnuplot development to know
| > whether there is interest in supporting other ways of transferring data?
| >

| Development version of gnuplot (4.1) has binary data support for 2d
| plotting... But anyway it looks like a long shot to me.

It won't help much.  The real problem is that gnuplot is slow to
render the data.  For example, check the performance of the following
for various values of the sample size.  Note that no explicit
data files are required here, so I don't think the biggest problem is
with the format of the data files, though that might have some
additional effect.

  for s in 1000 10000 100000; do
    for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9; do
      echo "set yrange [-100:100]; set samples $s; plot $i*x"; i=`expr $i + 1`;
    done | gnuplot -persist
  done