Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:11:51 -0500

On 16-Mar-2005, Quentin Spencer <address@hidden> wrote:

| David Bateman wrote:
|
| > On another point I can't see a UMFPACK rpm anywhere, and so if there
| > is someone who won't to make such a package, I'm sure there'll be lots
| > of octave users that would be very happy.
|
| One more thing: does anyone know where I can find the build scripts that
| are used to create the Debian packages for this? That could be very
| helpful to me as a starting point to package this as an RPM.

If you get the source .deb and unpack it, there will be a debian
subdirectory.  Since you can build a binary .deb files from the source
.deb, I assume all the rules are there.  Those rules do appear to
depend on additional deb tools though.

BTW, it would be good if anyone who packages UMFPACK arranges for the
include files to be installed in a subdirectory called "umfpack", so
we can use lines like

  #include <umfpack/umfpack.h>

and not have to have extra configure goop to try to also handle

  #include <umfpack.h>

(Since there appear to be a number of internal include files that go
along with umfpack.h, this seems like the cleanest solution anyway, to
avoid cluttering /usr/include).

Also, if might be nice if someone could also convice the UMFPACK
author(s) to surround the guts of umfpack.h with

  #ifdef __cplusplus
  #include <new>
  extern "C" {
  #endif

    /* ... umfpack.h ... */

  #ifdef __cplusplus
  }
  #endif

so people writing C++ can just include the umfpack.h file instead of
having to write

  extern "C" {
  #include <umfpack/umfpack.h>
  }