Re: packaging system

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: packaging system
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:32:46 -0400

On 15-Jun-2005, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| I really don't see this packaging
| approach being particularly practical for compiled code--the sheer
| number of possible OSs and architectures (especially with the increasing
| popularity of x86_64-specific Linux distributions) becomes quickly
| unmanageable.

I have no plans for binary packages.  If a package contains the source
for .oct files, then you will need to have a system capable of running
mkoctfile.  After downloading, the package is compiled, then installed.
I think this is similar to what happens if you download a package from
CPAN that includes C (or other compiled-language) code.